Henham Park has been owned and cared for by the Rous family since 1544. The landscape extends over one of the largest listed parklands in the country.
The grounds of Henham Park were landscaped by the great English designer Sir Humphry Repton in 1791 and contain a wide variety of trees including redwoods, ash, beech, mulberry and oak.
The park is also home to some of Britain’s rarest trees, with two weeping larches, two of only ten service trees in the UK and several black poplars among others.
An ancient oak in front of the Old Stables was used by Sir John Rous, an ancestor of the current owner, to hide in for three days while Oliver Cromwell’s Roundheads searched for Royalists. The tree still stands.
Repton’s plan incorporated landscaping already in place from centuries before, including the Lime Avenue near Henham Barns and the ancient Tuttles Wood with its Saxon ditches and old coppice.
One of Repton’s final recommendations, a lake at the southern end of the park, was completed in the early 1990s.
Today the estate is cared for by Hektor Rous and his wife Sarah who have made it home with their three children.
The estate supports arable farming, livestock grazing and forestry alongside its carefully protected natural habitat for English flora and fauna.